[Mayan EDMS: 2531] Creating Time wrong when indexing

[Mayan EDMS: 2531] Creating Time wrong when indexing

Eddi
Hi,

My system (debian jessie) reports the time correctly when running "date".
root@DocuMgmt ~# dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

Current default time zone: 'America/XXXXXXXXX'
Local time is now:      Fri Jun 22 11:17:04 MDT 2018.
Universal Time is now:  Fri Jun 22 17:17:04 UTC 2018.

root@DocuMgmt ~# date
Fri Jun 22 11:17:05 MDT 2018

When I import documents, and check their properties, the create time will also be correct.

However, when I scan a document at 9pm and check the Index "Creation date", it will have created an indexed link for tomorrows date already.

Lets assume today is the 22 June 2018, the index structure would look something like this:

2018
----05
----06
------20
------21
------22

After scanning another document on the 22 June 2018 at 9pm, the indexed structure would look like this:

2018
----05
----06
------20
------21
------22
------23

When I go into "23", the newly scanned document would show up. When I than check the creation date under properties, it will show 22 June 2018 9pm.
Anything that is imported before UTC midnight, its today's date index, anything after that, is tomorrow indexed date (because its daylight savings time in my area at the moment, its actually only 6 hours difference to UTC, hence anything scanned after 6pm my time, will have an indexed date of tomorrow).

This actually is causing issues, because the user knows he scanned it on the 22nd but cannot find his document. Very frustrating, specially if he tries to find the document days after scanning it.

Hope this is an easy fix.

Cheers!

Eddi

RE: [Mayan EDMS: 2569] Re: Creating Time wrong when indexing

Eduard Freiter

Hi,

I have been thinking about this a little as well and have a suggestion. I am not a programmer, so I am not sure how easy/difficult this is to implement.

Here it goes:

Allow the admin to set a time zone for the group. All users added to the group, will have the same time zone, and therefore the documents that are added, will respect this setting and the creation date will be set accordingly.

Now, for special cases, where the time zone of the group does not apply to a user, the user (or the admin, depending of permissions, see below), can change the time zone for their own needs and requirements.

In addition to that, the admin, can remove the users privilege to set their own time zone.

I think this will allow fine grained control of the time zone settings (in case you have ppl working in different time zones or continents) for users and groups but also allows changes for special cases.

Now, when a user creates a document in 2pm UTC time, and a second user in MST time looks at the document creation property, they should see the creation time as 7am.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,

Eddi Freiter