[Mayan EDMS: 2487] Extracting windows creation date property from file to create index

[Mayan EDMS: 2487] Extracting windows creation date property from file to create index

Eddi
Hi,

First of, a big THANK YOU to Roberto for this great software!!!

I setup Mayan EDMS for a client. They are scanning documents on a daily basis, and the indexing works fabulous as well to sort by scanned date (creation_date, default index).

Now, before I setup the Mayan EDMS, he was scanning, and than sorting the scanned pictures (png format) into folders. He sorted them by year, month, day.
I want to import these files to Mayan EDMS, but would like Mayan to recognize the windows created field of "date created".

I do not have experience with python nor django. I did try a few things, but they were not fruitful.

How would I go about this, to achieve my goal?

Thanks.

Eddi

RE: [Mayan EDMS: 2487] Extracting windows creation date property from file to create index

Eduard Freiter

I sort of solved this, but would like to make it simpler and faster.

Right now, I created 3 metadata fields, one for Year, Month and Day. I have to upload each day separate and enter the dates using the metadata fields.

It would be nicer, if I can just dump the files into a source folder and have Mayan do the work of indexing based on the windows creation date field.

If somebody has an idea on how I can do this, it would be much appreciated and save me a lot of time …

Thanks.

Eddi

[Mayan EDMS: 2492] Re: Extracting windows creation date property from file to create index

Awesome! Glad you like it. I started it originally but it is now a team effort of a very dedicate group of people.

The problem with the file creation field is that it is not a file but a filesystem property and there is no simple method (that I know of) to retain that data when the file is uploaded using the web user interface. The only place where Mayan has access to the actual file is in the email, watch folder and staging folder sources. The file creation data would be preserved in these case because a filesystem to filesystem copy is performed instead of a filesystem to web copy. Those are the only sources where the it might be possible to add the necessary code to capture and store the file creation data.

Similar discussion on a SharePoint forum: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/604dbbac-c3de-4614-88d7-0389995b7054/how-to-retain-windows-file-creation-date-and-time-when-i-upload-into-sharepoint

The three sources mentioned above would need to be updated to allow specifying a metadata field in which the file creation date would be stored. Similar to how it is possible to store the subject and sender of a document via email into specific metadata fields.