[Mayan EDMS: 2269] Examples of metadata templates?

[Mayan EDMS: 2269] Examples of metadata templates?

RW Shore
I don't know either Django or Python, and the documentation is a bit skimpy on examples for templates used to structure metadata. How about some examples? Common problems I have are:

* Timestamping a document with "date created", rather than simply the date updated, with enforced format yyyy-mm-ddThh:mm:ss

* Userid of the person uploading the document into mayan-edms

* Pick list of document "subjects" - are multiple selections possible, or is it one selection / metadata type?

* Any other common metadata types that folks have defined.

TIA

[Mayan EDMS: 2286] Re: Examples of metadata templates?

Michael Price
Need to check this, but i think the creation date is lost when uploading a file. From the point of view of Mayan (or any web app), the file being uploaded is a new file created the moment it is uploaded. The only way I can think the creation date can be preserved is by using a file format specific feature like for PDFs and MS Office files. Other than that I don't think it is possible to retain the operating system file creation date.

Unlike other system, in Mayan no one "owns" a document. Takes a bit to wrap your head around it if you come from traditional systems but I think it is a stroke of genius. Ownership of a document is determined by the access control of the document. This way you have a single access control system and no the traditional owner, group, world access control scheme. In traditional systems only one user can own a document, in Mayan many users, roles or groups can the owners of a document. As for the process itself, since uploads happen in the background, processed by a task worker it is the system and not a user that executes the code. I guess the interactive sources could be modified to store who uploaded the document, but I don't think it would be a good idea to introduce such a big process exception in the source code. it is a good topic for a MERC proposal. Maybe a workflow trigger/action combination can be written to keep track of the uploader.