[Mayan EDMS: 2252] Any Help with Mayan-EDMS?

[Mayan EDMS: 2252] Any Help with Mayan-EDMS?

Ray Hendricks
I know the horrible tragedy i Puerto Rico has caused development and official support to cease for Mayan-EDMS  but I'm hoping there is someone out there that can help...

I've tried a bunch of linux DMS's and Mayan seems to be the best one for my needs.  My environment is an unRAID server and I've been able to get the Mayan docker installed but all the data is contained in the docker and I will quickly run out of room.  Also, the built in database chokes on my repository size (100,000's of documents).

I've tried installing on a Ubuntu 16.04 VM in unRAID following this https://www.mayan-edms.com/post/deploy-mayan-docker-mysql/ and again, I can get it installed and everything works but I can't get it to use the storage on unRAID.  I've tried mounting a smb share in the VM and the dockers refuse to write to it.

I've tried following the bare metal install here http://mayan.readthedocs.io/en/latest/topics/deploying.html and at the end all I get is "502 Bad Gateway" so I'm not even sure I would be able to get that install to use my shared drives.

I really want to use this DMS but I can't find any support options.  I reached out to LogicalDocs but they want over $2000 just for my personal use of their DMS.

I'm willing to pay for support for Mayan-EDMS and have even posted a job on Upwork.  If anyone can help me get this installed in a supportable manner (ability to backup/restore and have all mysql and Mayan data on my shared network drive), I'll pay $500.

I've also sent Roberto the same offer but my understanding is that I shouldn't expect to hear back and that's completely understandable.

Also, I have a script that watches a folder and runs OCR (and embeds the text) into any pdf file that is placed there then moves the OCR'ed file and any non-PDF file to another directory that can be imported by a DMS.  The script can be customized with setting files and uses Telegraph to send notifications to your phone on any errors.  This was written to address future versions of Mayan-EDMS not having built in OCR.  I'm more than willing to share this if there is an interest.

[Mayan EDMS: 2253] Re: Any Help with Mayan-EDMS?

Matthias Löblich
Hi Ray
the "502 Bad Gateway" in bare metal installation sounds like the nginx can not connect to the uWSGI process. I do not know the details about uWSGI since I am running Gunicorn.

May be there is a permission problem creating the sockets. Check if the socket exists. See the configuration in uwsgi.ini (socket = /usr/share/mayan-edms/uwsgi.sock)

Check the details for general uWSGI django nginx setup:
http://uwsgi-docs.readthedocs.io/en/latest/tutorials/Django_and_nginx.html

Hope that helps.

br
Matthias

I've tried installing on a Ubuntu 16.04 VM in unRAID following this <a href="https://www.mayan-edms.com/post/deploy-mayan-docker-mysql/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.mayan-edms.com%2Fpost%2Fdeploy-mayan-docker-mysql%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNH2m38sg-Su3DixA2C9CtHwIA-L7A&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.mayan-edms.com%2Fpost%2Fdeploy-mayan-docker-mysql%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNH2m38sg-Su3DixA2C9CtHwIA-L7A&#39;;return true;">https://www.mayan-edms.com/post/deploy-mayan-docker-mysql/ and again, I can get it installed and everything works but I can't get it to use the storage on unRAID.  I've tried mounting a smb share in the VM and the dockers refuse to write to it.

I've tried following the bare metal install here <a href="http://mayan.readthedocs.io/en/latest/topics/deploying.html" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fmayan.readthedocs.io%2Fen%2Flatest%2Ftopics%2Fdeploying.html\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNECGc2MuIEwQ8EsclUTOkGE7SWd6g&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fmayan.readthedocs.io%2Fen%2Flatest%2Ftopics%2Fdeploying.html\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNECGc2MuIEwQ8EsclUTOkGE7SWd6g&#39;;return true;">http://mayan.readthedocs.io/en/latest/topics/deploying.html and at the end all I get is "502 Bad Gateway" so I'm not even sure I would be able to get that install to use my shared drives.

[...]

[Mayan EDMS: 2254] Re: Any Help with Mayan-EDMS?

Ray Hendricks
I've given up on the bare metal install.  Too many moving parts for me to feel like it's a robust enough system to rebuild if (when) a failure happens.

I've followed this https://www.mayan-edms.com/post/deploy-mayan-docker-mysql/ and have it up an running on a Ubuntu VM.

I set he docker up with this command: "sudo docker run -d --name mayan-edms --restart=always --env-file /home/ray/envfile -v /media/vintage:/media/vintage -v mayan_data:/var/lib/mayan --net=mayan -p 80:80 mayanedms/mayanedms:2.6.4-3"

/media/vintage" is a CIFS mount on the VM that is mounted with the following fstab:  "//adama/vintage /media/vintage cifs credentials=/home/ray/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 0 0"

I tested successfully that I can read/write from both the VM and from within the container.

Now what I'm trying to do is get the data storage to be on the server instead of inside the VM.

Inside the VM is a directory "/var/lib/docker/volumes/" where both the "mayan_data" and "myswl_data" are stored.  - This is good, the data is persistent and outside the container.

I've changed the local.py in the "/var/lib/docker/volumes/mayan_data/_data/settings/" and increased the search results that are returned to be 500.  I restarted the container and everything works and the SEARCH_LIMIT has been updated. - GREAT!

Now I tried changing STORAGE_FILESTORAGE_LOCATION = "/media/vintage/mayan" and it fails.  The container just reboots over and over.

How can I get Mayan to use /media/vintage/mayan as the document storage so i can have the data outside the VM?

I have a watch folder set up on /media/vintage and it works great.

I've tried installing on a Ubuntu 16.04 VM in unRAID following this <a href="https://www.mayan-edms.com/post/deploy-mayan-docker-mysql/" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.mayan-edms.com%2Fpost%2Fdeploy-mayan-docker-mysql%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNH2m38sg-Su3DixA2C9CtHwIA-L7A&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fwww.mayan-edms.com%2Fpost%2Fdeploy-mayan-docker-mysql%2F\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNH2m38sg-Su3DixA2C9CtHwIA-L7A&#39;;return true;">https://www.mayan-edms.com/post/deploy-mayan-docker-mysql/ and again, I can get it installed and everything works but I can't get it to use the storage on unRAID.  I've tried mounting a smb share in the VM and the dockers refuse to write to it.

I've tried following the bare metal install here <a href="http://mayan.readthedocs.io/en/latest/topics/deploying.html" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fmayan.readthedocs.io%2Fen%2Flatest%2Ftopics%2Fdeploying.html\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNECGc2MuIEwQ8EsclUTOkGE7SWd6g&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fmayan.readthedocs.io%2Fen%2Flatest%2Ftopics%2Fdeploying.html\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNECGc2MuIEwQ8EsclUTOkGE7SWd6g&#39;;return true;">http://mayan.readthedocs.io/en/latest/topics/deploying.html and at the end all I get is "502 Bad Gateway" so I'm not even sure I would be able to get that install to use my shared drives.

[...]

Re: [Mayan EDMS: 2254] Re: Any Help with Mayan-EDMS?

doug.vanes
i did something similar for my docker set up. mayan doesn't run on a vm
in my case, but what i had to do to get my mayan data stored outside of
the container was create a mayan volume first, then launch mayan.

# docker volume create --name mayan_media --opt type=none --opt device=/
path/to/data/share --opt o=bind

then i inspected the volume to make sure it was created:

# docker volume inspect mayan_media

looked good, so i launched mayan as normal:

# docker run -d --name mayan-edms --restart=always -p 80:80 -v
mayan_data:/var/lib/mayan -v /path/to/watch/folder:/path/to/watch/folder -
v /path/to/staging/folder:/path/to/staging/folder mayanedms/mayanedms:
2.6.4-3

let me know if this helps...i can't remember where i found the info on
this, i've been looking through the mayan documentation and don't see it.
but i found it somehow originally.

doug

On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 11:51:09 -0800, Ray Hendricks wrote:

> [...]

>>> I'm willing to pay for support for Mayan-EDMS and have even posted a
>>> job on Upwork.  If anyone can help me get this installed in a
>>> supportable manner (ability to backup/restore and have all mysql and
>>> Mayan data on my shared network drive), I'll pay $500.
>>>
>>> I've also sent Roberto the same offer but my understanding is that I
>>> shouldn't expect to hear back and that's completely understandable.
>>>
>>> Also, I have a script that watches a folder and runs OCR (and embeds
>>> the text) into any pdf file that is placed there then moves the OCR'ed
>>> file and any non-PDF file to another directory that can be imported by
>>> a DMS.  The script can be customized with setting files and uses
>>> Telegraph to send notifications to your phone on any errors.  This was
>>> written to address future versions of Mayan-EDMS not having built in
>>> OCR.  I'm more than willing to share this if there is an interest.

Re: [Mayan EDMS: 2255] Re: Any Help with Mayan-EDMS?

doug.vanes
oops, left out a step, initializing the container...

here is better run through...

create a mayan volume for the data:

# docker volume create --name mayan_media --opt type=none --opt device=/
path/to/data/share --opt o=bind

inspect the volume to make sure it was created:

# docker volume inspect mayan_media

initialize the container

# docker run --rm -v mayan_media:/var/lib/mayan -v mayan_settings:/etc/
mayan mayanedms/mayanedms mayan:init

launch mayan as normal:

On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 22:57:16 +0000, Douglas Van Es wrote:

> i did something similar for my docker set up. mayan doesn't run on a vm
> in my case, but what i had to do to get my mayan data stored outside of
> the container was create a mayan volume first, then launch mayan.
>
> # docker volume create --name mayan_media --opt type=none --opt device=/
> path/to/data/share --opt o=bind
>
> then i inspected the volume to make sure it was created:
>
> # docker volume inspect mayan_media
>
> looked good, so i launched mayan as normal:
>
> # docker run -d --name mayan-edms --restart=always -p 80:80 -v
> mayan_data:/var/lib/mayan -v /path/to/watch/folder:/path/to/watch/folder
> -
> v /path/to/staging/folder:/path/to/staging/folder mayanedms/mayanedms:
> 2.6.4-3
>
> let me know if this helps...i can't remember where i found the info on
> this, i've been looking through the mayan documentation and don't see
> it. but i found it somehow originally.
>
> doug
>

> On Sun, 28 Jan 2018 11:51:09 -0800, Ray Hendricks wrote:
>
>> I've given up on the bare metal install.  Too many moving parts for me
>> to feel like it's a robust enough system to rebuild if (when) a failure
>> happens.
>>
>> I've followed this
>> https://www.mayan-edms.com/post/deploy-mayan-docker-mysql/ and have it
>> up an running on a Ubuntu VM.
>>
>> I set he docker up with this command: "sudo docker run -d --name
>> mayan-edms --restart=always --env-file /home/ray/envfile -v
>> /media/vintage:/media/vintage -v mayan_data:/var/lib/mayan --net=mayan
>> -p 80:80 mayanedms/mayanedms:2.6.4-3"
>>
>> /media/vintage" is a CIFS mount on the VM that is mounted with the
>> following fstab:  "//adama/vintage /media/vintage cifs
>> credentials=/home/
> ray/.smbcredentials,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777
>> 0 0"
>>
>> I tested successfully that I can read/write from both the VM and from
>> within the container.
>>
>> Now what I'm trying to do is get the data storage to be on the server
>> instead of inside the VM.
>>
>> Inside the VM is a directory "/var/lib/docker/volumes/" where both the
>> "mayan_data" and "myswl_data" are stored.  - This is good, the data is
>> persistent and outside the container.
>>
>> I've changed the local.py in the
>> "/var/lib/docker/volumes/mayan_data/_data/settings/" and increased the
>> search results that are returned to be 500.  I restarted the container
>> and everything works and the SEARCH_LIMIT has been updated. - GREAT!
>>
>> Now I tried changing STORAGE_FILESTORAGE_LOCATION =
>> "/media/vintage/mayan"
>> and it fails.  The container just reboots over and over.
>>
>> How can I get Mayan to use /media/vintage/mayan as the document storage
>> so i can have the data outside the VM?
>>
>> I have a watch folder set up on /media/vintage and it works great.

Re: [Mayan EDMS: 2257] Re: Any Help with Mayan-EDMS?

Ray Hendricks
Thank you for your help!  I ended up just setting up rsync to backup the docker volume folder in the VM to my server a few times a day.