[Mayan EDMS: 2108] Is there more in-depth documentation of workflows?

[Mayan EDMS: 2108] Is there more in-depth documentation of workflows?

Hans Fritz
I don't quite understand how workflows work, and if they would be suitable in my context.

I read the documentation on ReadTheDocs, but it is not particularly descriptive of the feature's purpose.

Is there another resource I could use to try and understand what workflows are, and how to use them in Mayan?

Re: [Mayan EDMS: 2117] Is there more in-depth documentation of workflows?

Jonathon Exley
Essentially the workflow is a tag that identities the state of a document. You could just use regular tags, but the workflow status has defined allowable transitions, e.g. a draft design document could be made to go through a 'review' state before it can transition to the 'approved' state. State transitions can be manual or triggered by an action like adding a comment.
Workflow status can also be included in an index, eg to show all documents of type design that are in the 'approved' state.
The transitions can also have ACLs defined to restrict which users can perform the state transitions, eg so that only the approver can do the document approval.
The preview action in the workflow configuration page draws a nice little diagram showing the state and the transitions.

Jonathon