[Mayan EDMS: 20] MySQL vs PostgreSQL

Gour
Hello!

I plan to put Mayan into production here and wonder about the dtabase to
use.

Roberto confirmed in a private email that Sqlite3 isto be used for
testing purposes only and he is happy with MySQL.

Otoh, when i was playing with Django in the past, iirc, PostgreSQL was
favoured as over MySQL.

At the moment I use MySQL for testing some of my web sites using PHP CMS
(Concrete5) and have phpmyadmin installed.

Using Postgresql would mean to install Pgadmin which we use in the past.

Can Mayan users share which database you use and what might be advantage
of using Postgresql (it would run on my localhost only) so that we may
avoid migration in the future?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Never was there a time when I did not exist,
nor you, nor all these kings; nor in the future

http://atmarama.net | Hlapicina (Croatia) | GPG: 52B5C810

[Mayan EDMS: 22] Re: MySQL vs PostgreSQL

Yes, I've been a pretty happy with MySQL, my only complaint so far is that it doesn't support transactions for schema modifying commands.  This has bitten me more that once when running South migrations during development, if a migration fails the database structure is left in a transitory state and has to be reverted manually before trying again.  So far this wasn't enough to persuade me to change,  until I had to migrate a 20,000 document installation of Mayan to v11.1.  The stress of something failing and the possible downtime until a restore and retry were possible, were just enough to make me start learning PostgreSQL.

Re: [Mayan EDMS: 23] Re: MySQL vs PostgreSQL

Gour
On Tue, 17 Jan 2012 05:43:05 -0800 (PST)
Roberto Rosario
<[hidden email]>
wrote:

> This has bitten me more that once when running South migrations
> during development, if a migration fails the database structure is
> left in a transitory state and has to be reverted manually before
> trying again.

Interesting...

> So far this wasn't enough to persuade me to change, until I had to
> migrate a 20,000 document installation of Mayan to v11.1.  The stress
> of something failing and the possible downtime until a restore and
> retry were possible, were just enough to make me start learning
> PostgreSQL.

Thanks a lot! Now it's clear what will we use from the very
beginning. ;)

Sincerely,
Gour

--
There are principles to regulate attachment and aversion pertaining to
the senses and their objects. One should not come under the control of

http://atmarama.net | Hlapicina (Croatia) | GPG: 52B5C810