[Mayan EDMS: 1933] Help Understanding the Index's

[Mayan EDMS: 1933] Help Understanding the Index's

David Kornahrens
Roberto & community,
I'm having issues after using Myan for about a month, understanding the indexes and using them correctly.

Can someone point me in the right direction?  Possibly step by step understanding of what it does and how it should help us.

Thank you,
David

[Mayan EDMS: 1942] Re: Help Understanding the Index's

Indexes are an automatic way to group together documents based on a template that you write. These templates can reference direct document properties like the label (filename), the MIME type, creation date or indirect document properties like current workflow state, tags or metadata values.

Example:

If you have a document type called "Product datasheet" and a metadata type called "Product year" with an internal name of "product_year" for the year the product was released, you can group all datasheets by their year automatically. It would be like creating a cabinet for each year and putting the document into the corresponding year. The template for such index would be:

{{ document.metadata_value_of.product_year }}

Every time metadata "Product year" of  a document of type "Product datasheet" is added, deleted, or modified, the index template will be re-evaluated against the document whose metadata was just modified. The result of that evaluation will be used to create, update or delete index entries and place, move or remove the document on those index entries.

If you create 2 new "Product datasheet" documents with metadata values of "2016" and "2017", two entries in the index will appear named "2016" and "2017" and each will contain just one document whose metadata value matches the name of the index entry. If you modify the "Product year" of the datasheet whose value was "2016" and change it to "2017", the index will update automatically, will move the datasheet from the entry 2016 to the entry 2017 and delete the now empty 2016 index entry. Now the index has just 1 entry, called "2017" with two documents in it. There is no limit to the number of indexes you can define and there is no limit to the number of "levels" and index can have. The example here used just one level, the year, but indexes can have many nested levels. Indexes are also associated to specific document types that way you can choose which index will react to which document type changes. A document type can have more than one index associated with it, this allow a document to be organized or grouped in different ways. For the datasheet example, in addition to the "Product year" index and "Product type" or "Product market" indexes can also be created. The datasheet would appear in a specific year in the year index and also in a specific market entry in the "Product market" Index.

If Puerto Rico's government permits agency, indexes allow personnel to just scan documents related to a permit (photos, affidavits, blueprints, forms) and just enter the metadata for the documents (file number, engineer on file, city, etc) and Mayan groups the documents together into case files, all without human intervention. Reducing the amount of work moving documents around is one of the pillar in Mayan's design and the reason I don't personally use of recommend Cabinets. They were added due to high demand but once you go past the 1,000 or 10,000 document mark it is almost impossible to organize documents by hand.

Indexes turn Mayan from a document management system into a process automation platform, it's like having an extra employee sorting documents 24-7. Once you start using Indexes you'll see why they are Mayan's "killer" feature. The Zone OCR crowdfunding campaign (indiegogo.com/campaigns/zone-ocr-support-for-mayan-edms) aims to automate things even further by allowing the OCR app to "know" that the text in the upper quadrant of the page is the "Invoice number" and use that to index the document without even having to enter the invoice number as a metadata value.

When you start using Indexes, you also understand SmartLinks. Hope this introduction give you a starting point.

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 9:04:28 PM UTC-4, David Kornahrens wrote:
Roberto & community,
I'm having issues after using Myan for about a month, understanding the indexes and using them correctly.

Can someone point me in the right direction?  Possibly step by step understanding of what it does and how it should help us.

Thank you,
David

[Mayan EDMS: 1945] Re: Help Understanding the Index's

David Kornahrens
Thanks Roberto.

However, how would I go about applying the index?  For example, can you give me a walk through of creating one from scratch?  We have about 1,000 documents loaded and need some assistance in automating some things.

Re: [Mayan EDMS: 1945] Re: Help Understanding the Index's

Mark Phillips
Roberto - time for another blog post!....;) I have never really understood how to use indexes or smart links.

Mark

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 4:17 PM, David Kornahrens <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Roberto.

However, how would I go about applying the index?  For example, can you give me a walk through of creating one from scratch?  We have about 1,000 documents loaded and need some assistance in automating some things.

Re: [Mayan EDMS: 1949] Re: Help Understanding the Index's

David Kornahrens
I second this!!!!  With pictures :)

I just don't get it.  I've tried, but perhaps it is just because I'm new to the EDMS environment.