[Mayan EDMS: 193] Uploading versions gives double extensions and how to get a thumbnail for a .doc

[Mayan EDMS: 193] Uploading versions gives double extensions and how to get a thumbnail for a .doc

maarten
Hello all,

I am trying out mayan edms. So far very impressive.

Two things I run into:

1. When uploading an other version of mydoc.doc it  gets the name mydoc.doc.doc, when I add the next version it becomes mydoc.doc.doc. Is this on purpose?
2. How can I convince mayan to create a thumbnail and preview for .doc files? I have unoconv installed from github and from the commandline I can convert the document to pdf. I have set CONVERTER_UNOCONV_PATH to /usr/bin/unoconv in my settings_local.py file but still I get the thumbnail with the red cross. I have also noticed in the list of supported file formats .doc is not mentioned.

I am running mayan 0.12 on ubuntu server 12.04 using stock install packages.

Thank you,

Maarten

Re: [Mayan EDMS: 193] Uploading versions gives double extensions and how to get a thumbnail for a .doc

Thanks for trying Mayan EDMS and for reporting.

I've been removing file extension handling systematically (https://github.com/rosarior/mayan/commit/c6f85342081280eb9fecbcddc50709165db140f7), the new version upload code is the only place where Mayan still tries to deal with extensions and a lot of the times gets is wrong.  As the amount of code this touches is sensitive, I will put this on the list for the current development version, if the solution turns out to be simple I will roll it out for the stable version too.  I've added this issue on github issue tracker (https://github.com/rosarior/mayan/issues/24).

The office document support was greatly improved in 0.12 but still relies on unoconv which not always works as expected.  I'm evaluating the possibility of adding support for Apache's Tika project (http://tika.apache.org/) which appears to have a better track record at extracting text from office documents and is much more stable too than LibreOffice in headless mode + unoconv.  In the mean time try manually installing the latest version of unoconv straight from the repository (https://github.com/dagwieers/unoconv) to see if there is any improvement.  The supported file format list is generated by the conversion drivers used (python, imagemagick, graphicsmagick), but because there is no way for the office converter to detect whether the user has Openoffice/LibreOffice installed the converter just calls unoconv blindly and tries to catch the errors, this is why the supported file format list is not updated to include .doc, .xls, etc files extensions.

Thanks for reporting, I will try to improve/fork unoconv and if time allows add support for Tika by the next release (0.13).
Roberto