[Mayan EDMS: 1927] How do documents exit the workflow?

[Mayan EDMS: 1927] How do documents exit the workflow?

Mayan EDMS mailing list
It's natural to think that since documents can enter a workflow, they should be able to exit when the tasks are complete. Transitioning a document to a state with 100% completion leaves the document in the workflow and they show up when viewing the workflow documents. Without some way of documents exiting the workflow, completed documents will cloud the view of the other documents. Am I missing something? Is it possible to remove documents from a workflow?

I can create an index to show the documents in various states or view the state documents to see the relevant documents, but that's missing the point. Viewing the workflow documents shows documents that have already transitioned to 100% completed state making it harder to find documents that need work.

[Mayan EDMS: 1931] Re: How do documents exit the workflow?

In the workflows menu you can also view documents not just by their workflow, but also by their current state within that workflow.

Regarding the internals, the workflow app is a state machine, so documents will always need to be in a state. There are business flow where even at a 100% state like "Archived", documents can be reactivated and sent back to a previous state. For these reasons a document will always need a state in the current system. However, what can be done is add a flag to mark a state(s) as "complete" and disregard documents in that state from the workflow document list.  Would that work?

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 7:49:16 AM UTC-4, David Randall wrote:
It's natural to think that since documents can enter a workflow, they should be able to exit when the tasks are complete. Transitioning a document to a state with 100% completion leaves the document in the workflow and they show up when viewing the workflow documents. Without some way of documents exiting the workflow, completed documents will cloud the view of the other documents. Am I missing something? Is it possible to remove documents from a workflow?

I can create an index to show the documents in various states or view the state documents to see the relevant documents, but that's missing the point. Viewing the workflow documents shows documents that have already transitioned to 100% completed state making it harder to find documents that need work.

[Mayan EDMS: 1934] Re: How do documents exit the workflow?

Mayan EDMS mailing list

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 8:21:07 PM UTC-4, Roberto Rosario wrote:
In the workflows menu you can also view documents not just by their workflow, but also by their current state within that workflow.

Regarding the internals, the workflow app is a state machine, so documents will always need to be in a state.
For my use case, I was thinking about using a workflow to categorize uploaded documents and add metadata. I'm the only user of the system and having a document remain in a state after I changed the document type and other data doesn't make sense. I realize now it's better to upload as a "to be categorized" document type and then change the document type, etc. in due time.

There are business flow where even at a 100% state like "Archived", documents can be reactivated and sent back to a previous state. For these reasons a document will always need a state in the current system. However, what can be done is add a flag to mark a state(s) as "complete" and disregard documents in that state from the workflow document list.  Would that work?
That will work. Maybe add to the documentation that a "complete" state can also act like archiving the document. I didn't think about using a state as an archive.

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 7:49:16 AM UTC-4, David Randall wrote:
It's natural to think that since documents can enter a workflow, they should be able to exit when the tasks are complete. Transitioning a document to a state with 100% completion leaves the document in the workflow and they show up when viewing the workflow documents. Without some way of documents exiting the workflow, completed documents will cloud the view of the other documents. Am I missing something? Is it possible to remove documents from a workflow?

I can create an index to show the documents in various states or view the state documents to see the relevant documents, but that's missing the point. Viewing the workflow documents shows documents that have already transitioned to 100% completed state making it harder to find documents that need work.

[Mayan EDMS: 1941] Re: How do documents exit the workflow?

There have been discussion about creating something we called "Staging areas" (an expanded idea based on "Staging folders"). These would be places where you upload files but they don't become Mayan documents. Afterwards you can then go over each file in the staging area via the web interface and start processing the files. This provides a way to sepate the upload and the processing steps. Also allows seprate teams of individuals by function: one to scan and upload, the other to process the files into Mayan.

Until this lands (it is a big refactor so not sooner than 3.0) the paradigm continues to be, that document types should not change frequently, if ever.The process you describe is possible, but doesn't lend itself to the way things were designed to work. Having a catch-all document type like "to be categorized" is a good idea and a good compromise.

Thanks for the suggestion, some example workflows will be useful to users in getting to know the workflow app.

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 10:15:26 PM UTC-4, David Randall wrote:

[...]

[Mayan EDMS: 1948] Re: How do documents exit the workflow?

Mayan EDMS mailing list
Roberto,

Staging folders is just what I'm looking for.

As for example workflows, I think it makes sense to separate personal use from business use. Workflows won't be very useful for personal use because people will most likely use Mayan as a document archive system. Add scanned documents or PDFs, categorize and tag them, and store them until they are needed. Examples include court documents, tax documents, bank statements, important documents like medial records, wills, deeds, titles, etc. Workflows don't make much sense because there isn't a well defined process that needs to be followed.

Businesses, however, have well defined processes and workflows can compliment those business processes. Many businesses print forms with document information and then have the customer sign and date them. These documents need to be scanned, indexed and stored as an official document. Workflows are needed to have new documents supersede old documents. It really depends on the business and their need.

You've been extremely helpful. Thank you!