Quantcast

[Mayan EDMS: 1574] What format for scanned files?

[Mayan EDMS: 1574] What format for scanned files?

Manuel Reiter
What format are you using for scanned files? Scanimage can only produce PNG and TIFF, I lean towards PDF for now but would like to hear your thoughts on this.

[Mayan EDMS: 1577] Re: What format for scanned files?

Matthias Löblich
Hi Manuel,
best would be to optimize the scans before adding them to the EDMS.

I am using a changed version of this:
http://www.och-group.de/2016/10/25/update-fujitsu-scansnap-ix500-mit-raspbian-raspberry-pi-als-scanserver-nutzen/

Blog is German, but script is bash :-)

br
Matthias

Am Samstag, 8. April 2017 14:24:25 UTC+2 schrieb Manuel Reiter:
What format are you using for scanned files? Scanimage can only produce PNG and TIFF, I lean towards PDF for now but would like to hear your thoughts on this.

[Mayan EDMS: 1578] Re: What format for scanned files?

Manuel Reiter
Thanks, interesting script. I'll give it a closer look these days. BTW, I'm german myself, so no problems with the blog text. ;)

Cheers,

  Manuel

Re: [Mayan EDMS: 1580] Re: What format for scanned files?

Matthias Löblich
Hätte ich mir denken können bei dem Namen ;-).

Grüße aus Österreich
lg
Matthias

Thanks, interesting script. I'll give it a closer look these days. BTW, I'm german myself, so no problems with the blog text. ;)

Cheers,

  Manuel

[Mayan EDMS: 1617] Re: What format for scanned files?

For me it depends on what I'm scanning and the priority of the scan (text, color, image). For images I use JPEG to conserve detail without having files that are too big. For drawings or blueprints I use PNG. For multipage scans like contracts I use PDF. There is an experimental branch that add a headless SANE (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scanner_Access_Now_Easy) source support (https://gitlab.com/mayan-edms/mayan-edms/tree/feature/sane_source), this would allow for scanning documents directly into Mayan straight from the scanner and not having to use a separate program. It is a proof of concept but if improved could be added in the next version.

On Saturday, April 8, 2017 at 8:24:25 AM UTC-4, Manuel Reiter wrote:
What format are you using for scanned files? Scanimage can only produce PNG and TIFF, I lean towards PDF for now but would like to hear your thoughts on this.

[Mayan EDMS: 1650] Re: What format for scanned files?

Manuel Reiter
Thanks! I'll give the SANE branch a look. Scanning directly into Mayan would be a nice feature. For now, I intend to set up automated scanning into the staging folder triggered by the scanner buttons. Do you have any idea how you will handle multi page documents yet? I use an approach of one button for the last or only page and one button for all other pages.

If it's not too off-topic, may I ask how you produce the PDFs from your scans? I have the feeling that converting the PNMs directly with convert leads to overly large PDFs.

Re: [Mayan EDMS: 1650] Re: What format for scanned files?

Jonathon Exley
I use simple scan on Linux to create multi-page PDFs then use the web browser upload form.
My multi function printer/scanner says it can do scans direct to an ftp server but I haven't worked out how to do it yet.

On Apr 22, 2017 11:16 PM, "Manuel Reiter" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks! I'll give the SANE branch a look. Scanning directly into Mayan would be a nice feature. For now, I intend to set up automated scanning into the staging folder triggered by the scanner buttons. Do you have any idea how you will handle multi page documents yet? I use an approach of one button for the last or only page and one button for all other pages.

If it's not too off-topic, may I ask how you produce the PDFs from your scans? I have the feeling that converting the PNMs directly with convert leads to overly large PDFs.

Re: [Mayan EDMS: 1670] Re: What format for scanned files?

Manuel Reiter
Thanks for your input, Jonathon! Simple scan sounds like a manual solution, however. I'm looking for a process that allows me to produce multi page PDFs using only my printer/scanner's buttons.