[Mayan EDMS: 1574] How to access staging folder?

[Mayan EDMS: 1574] How to access staging folder?

Manuel Reiter
I'm currently setting up Mayan 2.1.10 (on a Raspberry Pi 3 for home use). I've configured a staging folder and want to set up my scanner to automatically scan to it.

I don't quite understand how to access the folder for upload, though. The only way I've found is through the "New Document" button on the Start page which forces me to select a document type first thing. Since there might be documents of different types in the staging folder, I'd like to be able to select the type for each document separately. Ist that possible at all?

[Mayan EDMS: 1616] Re: How to access staging folder?

It is not possible. As has been explained before, this is a limitation of Django itself (the framework used to build Mayan) and to an extent of how HTML forms works. Only the last step of the wizard can include a file, this is why all previous steps are user data only. There is a long standing ticket to add an AJAX document uploader (https://gitlab.com/mayan-edms/mayan-edms/issues/6) which would allow steps in any order or even several step at the same time. Sadly this is outside my knowledge domain and nobody has taken up the task to building it.

On Saturday, April 8, 2017 at 8:23:11 AM UTC-4, Manuel Reiter wrote:
I'm currently setting up Mayan 2.1.10 (on a Raspberry Pi 3 for home use). I've configured a staging folder and want to set up my scanner to automatically scan to it.

I don't quite understand how to access the folder for upload, though. The only way I've found is through the "New Document" button on the Start page which forces me to select a document type first thing. Since there might be documents of different types in the staging folder, I'd like to be able to select the type for each document separately. Ist that possible at all?

[Mayan EDMS: 1620] Re: How to access staging folder?

MacRobb Simpson

On Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 12:04:47 AM UTC-7, Roberto Rosario wrote:
There is a long standing ticket to add an AJAX document uploader (<a href="https://gitlab.com/mayan-edms/mayan-edms/issues/6" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgitlab.com%2Fmayan-edms%2Fmayan-edms%2Fissues%2F6\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHSRQ3ilxmR23NUR_1u9uG9KbONGg&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgitlab.com%2Fmayan-edms%2Fmayan-edms%2Fissues%2F6\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNHSRQ3ilxmR23NUR_1u9uG9KbONGg&#39;;return true;">https://gitlab.com/mayan-edms/mayan-edms/issues/6) which would allow steps in any order or even several step at the same time. Sadly this is outside my knowledge domain and nobody has taken up the task to building it.
Hm... this sounds like something I'm going to end up building myself.
I was going to end up doing it with a PHP wrapper(because most of my knowledge and applications are running with PHP), but there's no reason it couldn't be done within Mayan itself.

I'm going to need some help/ideas on how to create the 'form' page and where to 'properly' store the JS/CSS needed to actually run the AJAX document uploader... but the actual uploader itself is just a bit of wiring using the API you already have.

I'm envisioning a 3-section page: a Document Type dropdown, a Metadata section(which would display the metadata fields of whichever Document Type is selected, using an AJAX query), and then the File Upload block itself.

Re: [Mayan EDMS: 1621] Re: How to access staging folder?

Manuel Reiter
Wouldn't a (possibly separate) one step one page upload form for staging
folders (much like what MacRobb Simpson describes in his post) be a
solution for this? If there's only one step, it is the last one. ;)

Oh, and if anybody creates such a form, it would be nice to be able to
edit the description there as well.