[Mayan EDMS: 1564] How to install on Raspbian jessie?

[Mayan EDMS: 1564] How to install on Raspbian jessie?

Manuel Reiter
Is there a recommended way to install Mayan on a Raspberry Pi (3) running Raspbian jessie? I've browsed the Installation and Deployment sections of the documentation as well as the Docker instructions on the Download page. The latter don't work, presumably because the Docker image is x86 (at least that's how I interpret the error message 'standard_init_linux.go:178: exec user process caused "exec format error"' I get when trying to initialize a container. The other methods look rather complicated and I'm not sure which one I should try to follow. I've set up other web apps under nginx before, this seems way more difficult.

Any nudge in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

[Mayan EDMS: 1565] Re: How to install on Raspbian jessie?

Manuel Reiter
Anybody at all? I've since found the repository for the official Docker images and thought I could build my own by cloning that and rebasing it to resin/rpi-raspbian. However, that fails when trying to install Pillow, complaining about a missing libjpeg. Any hints on that?

Re: [Mayan EDMS: 1565] Re: How to install on Raspbian jessie?

Jonathon Exley
You can use the bare metal install as per the documentation at https://mayan.readthedocs.io/en/latest/topics/deploying.html

I wrote up my experiences installing on a Raspberry Pi 2 a while ago, using an older version of Mayan. My process wasn't as elegant as the link above, and you would be much better off doing it the official way.

My version is at https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/mayan-edms/WFEFr7xFgPw if you want to read it. On a Pi 3 you may as well go with postgress rather than sqlite.

The official guide doesn't cover HTTPS config, so follow the links in my write-up to get the latest in nginx security. The basics are to only use strong cyphers and create your own dh key.

I don't think docker is going to be of much value on a Raspberry Pi, as I wouldn't expect you to be running any other containers on such a small platform.

Jonathon.

On Apr 6, 2017 3:21 AM, "Manuel Reiter" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Anybody at all? I've since found the repository for the official Docker images and thought I could build my own by cloning that and rebasing it to resin/rpi-raspbian. However, that fails when trying to install Pillow, complaining about a missing libjpeg. Any hints on that?

Re: [Mayan EDMS: 1571] Re: How to install on Raspbian jessie?

Manuel Reiter
Thanks for your help! Somehow the notification mail managed to hit my spam folder, so I only saw your answer now that I wanted to update my post.

For now, I've managed to get the Docker container up and running by adding 2 additional dependencies (tcl8.6-dev and tk8.6-dev) to the build script from the official repo. Mayan is running and seems to be performant enough (if a bit heavy on the memory side) for my needs. I'll explore some more and if I run into any trouble with this approach, I'll give the bare metal install and your detailed instructions a go. Thanks again for taking an interest!

Re: [Mayan EDMS: 1639] Re: How to install on Raspbian jessie?

Jonathon Exley
Just for the record, I am still running Mayan on my Pi2 and am really happy with it. Its just a home archive for bills, receipts and stuff to reduce clutter.
One of these days I will upgrade to the current version, but v1.1 is enough for my needs.

On Apr 20, 2017 12:33 PM, "Roberto Rosario" <[hidden email]> wrote:
As Jonathon mentions you would be better off not using Docker on SBCs, they are resource constrained as it is. By far the best distribution is armbian. I don't remember if they support the RPi but I stopped using those and don't recommend them boards nowadays (technical and non technical reasons). Best results for SBC personally have been with the ODroid C2 using eMMC storage. The ODroid C2 has a 4-core 64bit ARM CPU and 2GB of RAM which is the minimum recommend for Mayan. Use TurboJpeg libraries of libjeg-dev. Disable automatic OCR, tesseract uses a lot of memory and is CPU intensive. There is a ticket to add concurrency support for the tesseract backend and allow it to run just one copy at a time, slower but will not grind the SBC to a halt. Other than that the install is pretty much the same. I use SQLite to lower the memory usage even further at the expense of concurrency but Mayan on a single board computer is not meant to service a lot of users.

If you can deal with an even slower setup, the Banana Pro is another alternative. It is slower but has built in WiFi, SATA interface (internally using an USB port) and power management (AXP209 chip = internal UPS and smart power on/off). The attached photo is an actual build I use at home with a Lithium backup battery built into it.

On Friday, April 7, 2017 at 10:13:05 AM UTC-4, Manuel Reiter wrote:
Thanks for your help! Somehow the notification mail managed to hit my spam folder, so I only saw your answer now that I wanted to update my post.

For now, I've managed to get the Docker container up and running by adding 2 additional dependencies (tcl8.6-dev and tk8.6-dev) to the build script from the official repo. Mayan is running and seems to be performant enough (if a bit heavy on the memory side) for my needs. I'll explore some more and if I run into any trouble with this approach, I'll give the bare metal install and your detailed instructions a go. Thanks again for taking an interest!

Re: [Mayan EDMS: 1648] Re: How to install on Raspbian jessie?

Manuel Reiter
For now, I also think that the Raspberry Pi 3 will suffice for my needs. If it doesn't in the future, I'll keep your recommendations in mind. I'll probably move away from the Docker approach though.

I'd be really curious to learn of your non-technical reasons for not recommending Raspberry Pi's anymore - although that might be a bit off-topic here.