[Mayan EDMS: 1484] Better way to Install/Upgrade mayan-edms for Windows users

[Mayan EDMS: 1484] Better way to Install/Upgrade mayan-edms for Windows users

Prasanjit Biswas
Mayan-edms is great. no doubt about it. However it is not user friendly to get started with especially for windows users. I was able to install mayan-edms v2.1.6 on windows using vagrant production deployment method and been using it for few months. Now I notice lot of improvements in development branch and expect a new version will be released soon. I wonder how can I upgrade to new version keeping my documents and data safe. The upgrade guide in documentation doesn't highlight how to upgrade smoothly for docker or vagrant deployments, which is the easiest installation method for windows users.
I took dump of PgSql db but when restoring it to another installation some functionalitiy breaks. Can you suggest how easily I would be able to upgrade to the upcoming version 2.2?. If not, should I wait for the new version to start archiving my documents.

[Mayan EDMS: 1488] Re: Better way to Install/Upgrade mayan-edms for Windows users

Prasanjit Biswas
Can I expect a reply please.??  I'm really concerned about upgrading existing installation on Windows when a new version comes. This is restricting me from using it in production environment.

On Monday, 16 January 2017 13:17:03 UTC+5:30, Prasanjit Biswas wrote:
Mayan-edms is great. no doubt about it. However it is not user friendly to get started with especially for windows users. I was able to install mayan-edms v2.1.6 on windows using vagrant production deployment method and been using it for few months. Now I notice lot of improvements in development branch and expect a new version will be released soon. I wonder how can I upgrade to new version keeping my documents and data safe. The upgrade guide in documentation doesn't highlight how to upgrade smoothly for docker or vagrant deployments, which is the easiest installation method for windows users.
I took dump of PgSql db but when restoring it to another installation some functionalitiy breaks. Can you suggest how easily I would be able to upgrade to the upcoming version 2.2?. If not, should I wait for the new version to start archiving my documents.

[Mayan EDMS: 1503] Re: Better way to Install/Upgrade mayan-edms for Windows users

This is a community forum, replies are not guaranteed, and it up to the individual users to participate if they wish. If you are using Mayan in production I would suggest you subscribe to a support package (http://www.mayan-edms.com/providers/) any of which guarantee a response to any issue.

The way Mayan is installed in Vagrant (https://gitlab.com/mayan-edms/mayan-edms/blob/master/contrib/scripts/install/production.sh) is very similar to how it is normally deployed (http://mayan.readthedocs.io/en/v2.1.10/topics/deploying.html), the upgrade procedure would be pretty much the same as in the upgrade instructions from the release notes.

- Making a backup copy of the image
- SSH into it the VM
- Do a: pip install -U mayan-edms
- Do a : mayan-edms.py performupgrade
- Do a: mayan-edms.py collectstatic --noinput
- Restart the VM image

You feedback on this will be important and can be the base of a documentation chapter on how to do the upgrade.

The Vagrant procedure to generate the VM images might be removed in the future in favor of more robust products like Packer (https://www.packer.io).
However the procedures to upgrade and administer them should remain the same.

Would a small python script inside the VM that does the upgrade be helpful/a good idea?