[Mayan EDMS: 1449] I'm confused at what to use document types, folders, and metadata for. Pointers?

[Mayan EDMS: 1449] I'm confused at what to use document types, folders, and metadata for. Pointers?

Hans Fritz
Hi,

I'm trying to switch to a paperless household. We have bills, statements, purchase receipts, work & insurance contracts, taxes...

I don't know if I should create on document type for each, or if I should aggregate them all into a single document type since the only configurable option there is how long before they're deleted (I don't want to delete them ever).

What about metadata? I don't want to fill in a million fields when adding a document to Mayan EDMS, should I skip the metadata altogether? Searching for text in the document using OCR is good enough to find any document I need.

I checked the docs, but they don't give much context. I suppose it's obvious if you're a professional archivist, but it's arcane to me. Any pointers?

[Mayan EDMS: 1452] Re: I'm confused at what to use document types, folders, and metadata for. Pointers?

gioboske

The basic unit of data in Mayan EDMS is the document type. A document type can be interpreted also as a document category, a document class, or a document template. Metadata is the name of the attribute of a document. (from Mayan documentation)
My personal suggestion is to create a document type for each of your document categories (bills, statements, etc.). You can skip metadata creation if you want, or create just some optional (i.e. not required) metadata.
Creating multiple document types ensures a more flexible document management system. On the contrary, if you aggregate everything in a single document type, I could have to re-setup the entire EDMS once your system will be grown up.

gioboske