[Mayan EDMS: 1417] Switching Optional to Required Metadata

[Mayan EDMS: 1417] Switching Optional to Required Metadata

kyle graves
I'm running into a predicament where I have many documents in Mayan already, and have a mix of optional and required metadata for different document types I've defined.
Now a requirement has come up to switch some of the optional metadata to required metadata. This seems easy, but has presented a problem: there is no way (in the UI) to *switch* metadata from optional to required.
What one has to do is remove the optional metadata from a document type, which removes all values already setup, and then re-add a required metadata to that same document type.

This is a big problem for those who have hundred or thousands of documents with metadata that's setup over the course of months, because it'll be wiped away.
Luckily I decided to test the switch on a development deployment.

I feel like there should be a way to toggle between optional and required settings for metadata, rather than having to delete and re-add.

I see that for now I can manually flip the 'required' column on 'metadata_documenttypemetadatatype' table, although I haven't tried that yet.

Any suggestions? Anyone run into this issue? Is this being worked on for a future release?