[Mayan EDMS: 1350] How to deploy on Apache2 instead of nginx?

[Mayan EDMS: 1350] How to deploy on Apache2 instead of nginx?

Janis K
Hi all,
a few weeks ago I checked the demo site of Mayan and was very impressed -> good work so far!
Today I got a little bit more time to test the quick installation guide of the documentation on a Debian Jessie VirtualBox VM (my aim is to deploy it on the new raspberry pi 3 (raspbian lite) and to manage all my paper-based documents in order to get a step-forward to a paperless home office).

The first test resulted in a satisfied self, so good so far.

But the next step seems a bit more complicated, because the deployment guide of the documentation is very straight forward and does not deal with other options, like using Apache2 instead of nginx and configure SSL and other Ports etc.

I know this might not be the focus or the aim of the deployment chapter, but I think it could be a very useful for others, because a lack of information could be a showstopper for people like me (private usage and other websites / apps already running on apache / no django experience).

Are there any suggestions or hints regarding my request, so that i am able to get things together and provide a little tutorial or step-by-step guide back to you and all readers in order to get the documentation a step further :-)

I think the knowledge aboout this should already exist in this group.

Thank You,
Janis

[Mayan EDMS: 1359] Re: How to deploy on Apache2 instead of nginx?

Hi Janis,

>> I know this might not be the focus or the aim of the deployment chapter

This is the main obstacle to add that in the docs and the reason only recently there was a "Deploying" chapter, since this is more of an operations area of the project.

I also agree that it can be a showstopper, so let's give it a try.

Others have in this group have posted their Apache configurations but are very varied, there doesn't seem to be a single canonical way to deploy Mayan under Apache. There is a issue for this (https://gitlab.com/mayan-edms/mayan-edms/issues/254) my knowledge of uWSGI under Apache is not extensive but we can work on refining a simple Apache instruction set enough to get people started. Sounds good?

On Tuesday, May 3, 2016 at 6:37:18 AM UTC-4, Janis K wrote:
[...]

[Mayan EDMS: 1371] Re: How to deploy on Apache2 instead of nginx?

Janis K
Hi Roberto,

unfortunately I had not much time to spend some effort in this the last weeks. I tried the deployment on my raspberry for the nginx server and because of the lack of time i got stuck. The problem here is, that I already run owncloud on this machine and this seems to be more complicated than the clean deploy. In the next days i will give it another try.

After this I will check the apache topic, because I think that many people prefer apache and I think the effort for a "how to" is worth it.

Just give me a few weeks for this and I will come back to this topic ;-)

I am pretty sure, we will accomplish this.

Am Dienstag, 17. Mai 2016 11:23:12 UTC+2 schrieb Roberto Rosario:
Hi Janis,

>> I know this might not be the focus or the aim of the deployment chapter

This is the main obstacle to add that in the docs and the reason only recently there was a "Deploying" chapter, since this is more of an operations area of the project.

I also agree that it can be a showstopper, so let's give it a try.

Others have in this group have posted their Apache configurations but are very varied, there doesn't seem to be a single canonical way to deploy Mayan under Apache. There is a issue for this (<a href="https://gitlab.com/mayan-edms/mayan-edms/issues/254" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgitlab.com%2Fmayan-edms%2Fmayan-edms%2Fissues%2F254\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEPcjbP3BKXNEvnoBfMhX8Hnol2fQ&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;https://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttps%3A%2F%2Fgitlab.com%2Fmayan-edms%2Fmayan-edms%2Fissues%2F254\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNEPcjbP3BKXNEvnoBfMhX8Hnol2fQ&#39;;return true;">https://gitlab.com/mayan-edms/mayan-edms/issues/254) my knowledge of uWSGI under Apache is not extensive but we can work on refining a simple Apache instruction set enough to get people started. Sounds good?