[Mayan EDMS: 104] First upload of docs from staging folder -- Unhandled exception: 'User' object is not iterable

[Mayan EDMS: 104] First upload of docs from staging folder -- Unhandled exception: 'User' object is not iterable

ses1984
I am trying Mayan out for the first time and I've just got done
installing it and setting up Apache. I'm using the default sqlite
configuration just while I try it out. I have set up a staging folder
and I've tried to upload the docs in that folder. I can see thumbnails
generated, but when I try to click on the submit button I get the
error in the subject line.

It doesn't seem like the docs have fully uploaded yet, because if I
open a new tab to explore my project there are still no docs in it.

I don't see anything out of the ordinary in the error or access logs.

Here's a screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/2f32Y.png

[Mayan EDMS: 107] Re: First upload of docs from staging folder -- Unhandled exception: 'User' object is not iterable

I'm at a loss as to the cause, any other information about your setup that could help me recreate this error?  Defined metadata types, metadatasets, default values for the metadata, document types?  Version 0.12 is about to be released, could you test the development version to see if the error is present in that version too?

Thanks

[Mayan EDMS: 107] Re: First upload of docs from staging folder -- Unhandled exception: 'User' object is not iterable

ses1984
I'm using Ubuntu LTS as the base, have all the dependencies through
the package manager up to date and just re-tried everything with a
fresh git clone of the dev version. I'm getting the same error. It's
not showing up in any log files and it's not showing up in sentry.

I have a brand new project, logged in as admin/admin, created a
staging folder, started an upload with no document type or metadata at
all, get to this thing that I think is a preview screen and when I
click submit I get the same error. I didn't touch the settings file or
enter any data other than to create one staging folder.

I'm trying now to use postgresql instead of sqlite. Following the
directions in the docs, I got an error when trying to pip-install
psycopg2. It complained about not being able to find pg_config, which
it turns out is part of the package libpq-dev, so I did apt-get
install libpq-dev and I was able to proceed.

I still got the same error. I tried creating a user that was not admin/
admin, and still had the same error.

No need to thank me. Thank YOU for working on this awesome package and
answering questions here!

On Feb 14, 1:54 pm, Roberto Rosario
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm at a loss as to the cause, any other information about your setup that
> could help me recreate this error?  Defined metadata types, metadatasets,
> default values for the metadata, document types?  Version 0.12 is about to
> be released, could you test the development version to see if the error is
> present in that version too?
>
> Thanks

[Mayan EDMS: 108] Re: First upload of docs from staging folder -- Unhandled exception: 'User' object is not iterable

ses1984
I would like to add, I'm not sure if I'm using the correct git
command,

git clone git://github.com/rosarior/mayan.git

Seems to result in version .11.2, and you said that .12 was the latest
version. Did I do something wrong here?

On Feb 14, 2:38 pm, ses1984 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm using Ubuntu LTS as the base, have all the dependencies through
> the package manager up to date and just re-tried everything with a
> fresh git clone of the dev version. I'm getting the same error. It's
> not showing up in any log files and it's not showing up in sentry.
>
> I have a brand new project, logged in as admin/admin, created a
> staging folder, started an upload with no document type or metadata at
> all, get to this thing that I think is a preview screen and when I
> click submit I get the same error. I didn't touch the settings file or
> enter any data other than to create one staging folder.
>
> I'm trying now to use postgresql instead of sqlite. Following the
> directions in the docs, I got an error when trying to pip-install
> psycopg2. It complained about not being able to find pg_config, which
> it turns out is part of the package libpq-dev, so I did apt-get
> install libpq-dev and I was able to proceed.
>
> I still got the same error. I tried creating a user that was not admin/
> admin, and still had the same error.
>
> No need to thank me. Thank YOU for working on this awesome package and
> answering questions here!
>
> On Feb 14, 1:54 pm, Roberto Rosario
>

> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I'm at a loss as to the cause, any other information about your setup that
> > could help me recreate this error?  Defined metadata types, metadatasets,
> > default values for the metadata, document types?  Version 0.12 is about to
> > be released, could you test the development version to see if the error is
> > present in that version too?
>
> > Thanks

[Mayan EDMS: 110] Re: First upload of docs from staging folder -- Unhandled exception: 'User' object is not iterable

On Tuesday, February 14, 2012 3:38:18 PM UTC-4, ses1984 wrote:
[...]

That was a very thorough testing and debugging, I'll do a clean checkout and try to trigger the bug, should have an answer in the next few hours.

No need to thank me. Thank YOU for working on this awesome package and
answering questions here!

Well thanks for trying out Mayan and giving me your feedback it is much appreciated :D

<roberto.rosario.gonza...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm at a loss as to the cause, any other information about your setup that
> could help me recreate this error?  Defined metadata types, metadatasets,
> default values for the metadata, document types?  Version 0.12 is about to
> be released, could you test the development version to see if the error is
> present in that version too?
>
> Thanks

[Mayan EDMS: 111] Re: First upload of docs from staging folder -- Unhandled exception: 'User' object is not iterable

git checks out the master (stable) branch by default.  For the development branch do:

git branch development origin/development
git checkout development

Follow the upgrade steps (http://readthedocs.org/docs/mayan/en/development/releases/0.12.html#upgrading-from-a-previous-version)  or try a deployment from scratch just to be sure.

[Mayan EDMS: 111] Re: First upload of docs from staging folder -- Unhandled exception: 'User' object is not iterable

ses1984
Hey, the 0.12 version works like a charm.

This is just a tangent but I was wondering if there was a way to batch
submit documents. I have over 600 docs in my test staging folder and
it seems odd that only one at a time can be submitted, unless I'm
doing something wrong. I'm sure there's a way that script it, which
would work for me in most cases but not if I had to unleash this to
end users.

Have you considered using sorl-thumbnail? That's a nice package I've
been using for quite a while.

Thanks very much for all your help!

On Feb 14, 3:44 pm, Roberto Rosario
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> git checks out the master (stable) branch by default.  For the development
> branch do:
>
> git branch development origin/development
> git checkout development
>
> Follow the upgrade steps
> (http://readthedocs.org/docs/mayan/en/development/releases/0.12.html#u...)
> or try a deployment from scratch just to be sure.

[Mayan EDMS: 113] Re: First upload of docs from staging folder -- Unhandled exception: 'User' object is not iterable

Excellent :)  I'm backporting stuff but takes a while to understand and move the fixes as the code bases are starting to diverge.

You can upload compressed files with the web interface and they will be unpacked and uploaded as separate documents, but if the number of documents in a zip file is too big (30+) the HTTP timeout kills the process.  For really big bulk uploads there is a command line option:

./manage.py bulk_upload --noinput --metadata '{"project": "bulk"}' --document_type "Accounting documents" compressed.zip

If not planning to use Active Directory or LDAP and have a lot of user accounts the same is also supported for that:

$ ./manage.py import_users --noinput --password=welcome123 --skip-repeated user_list.csv
I started using photologue but as the requirements and file format support demand increased over time had to build my own file format conversion framework and wrappers.  PIL file format support is limited and the backend driver that uses it is meant for people that can't install the binaries (cloud, app servers) imagemagick or graphicsmagick (the one recommended for Mayan).